TITLE: Rebel Soul
SERIES: Rebel Series Book 1
AUTHOR: J.C. Hannigan
RELEASE DATE: June 1st, 2016
Tessa Armstrong has one more summer at home before heading off to college with her best friend. She’s been counting down the months, waiting to be free of her overbearing brothers and overprotective father — not to mention getting out of the small, suffocating town she’s grown up in.
The one thing Tessa doesn’t count on is falling in love, least of all with Brock Miller. He’s the kind of boy her father has always warned her about. He’s older, mysterious, and a little dangerous. Brock has had a hard past, and the whole town not only knows it, but won’t let him forget.
Brock has come back to take care of his ailing mother and struggling younger siblings. He doesn’t have time to fall in love, especially with one of the town’s darlings, but sometimes, love comes fast and fierce.
Can Tessa and Brock find a way to each other despite their pasts and the obstacles their families present?
If you’re a regular on my blog you know that I am a JC Hannigan fan. I’ve read ALL her books and I’m pretty confident I will continue to do so. I love reading her words, watching her grow and feeling her moving, familiar and soulful love stories right through to my bones. Rebel Soul is no different. Writing a story that is a little bit different to her past books, the characters, the setting and the emotion in Rebel Soul is addictive and refreshing. Set in a small town, Hannigan explores the importance of loss and the healing power of love. Not just love between a guy and a girl, but the very existence of love within friends, love within families and of course love within lovers.
Tessa Armstrong is all grown up and ready to make plans for college and fulfill her future dreams, her only problem is her father and brothers are stifling. Over bearing and over protective, it’s endless warning off all the boys in town – especially Brock Miller
Brock Miller is dangerous, or so everybody thinks – the truth a little easier to bear but very much a secret, means Brock Miller is a mystery. Back in town, and wishing he wasn’t, seeing Tessa Armstrong all grown up is a whole lot of confusion. Addictive. Gorgeous. Confusion.
Attracted to one another, the chemistry is hard to deny. Well aware of the consequences of pursuing anything, the struggle between head and heart is real and very prominent for both of them. With that, the journey begins. Exploring family secrets, personal changes and typical stereotypes, Hannigan brings to life a well-written relationship. Filled with a perfect amount of complexity, her main characters offer a perfect balance of heart and soul. As her secondary characters add the depth needed to fall in love with the shenanigans of this small town and Brock and Tessa. Their desire for one another and their determination to make themselves and each other happy, makes Rebel Soul a beautiful depiction of the all encompassing impact of love.
SOME FUN FACTS ABOUT REBEL SOUL
1) I originally started writing Rebel Soul for my best friend, Jessica Dawn. Jessica loves my books, but said on more than one occasion that she wanted me to write a “Redneck Romance”, just for her. This is more country than redneck (’cause when I picture rednecks, I picture the guys from Duck Dynasty or beer guts and moonshine), but the whole thing couldn’t have happened without Jessica’s demands for a redneck romance.
2) Tessa’s father, Bill Armstrong, was mostly inspired by my own father; mainly his protective nature, traditional views, and strong family values. Bill has good intentions at heart; he just wants what’s best for Tessa.
3) Growing up, I always wanted brothers. I had three sisters and we were always fighting! I wanted to give Tessa a lot of brothers, and I wanted them to annoy her in a completely different way (’cause sisters sort of ignore each other, but they don’t overly get involved with your dating choices. Well, aside from telling exactly how they feel — they won’t punch someone for you though). Ben, Gordon, and Tommy are like her unwanted personal body guards, protecting her from heartbreak. They drive her crazy, but she loves them.
4) My favourite brother is a toss-up between Gordon and Tommy. They’re really involved with Tessa’s life – Tommy because he’s the closest in age to her and Gordon because they are practically inseparable. I love Ben too, but he’s very safe and he’s got his own things happening.
5) Rebel Soul takes place in the township of Parry Sound, Ontario. My husband’s family hails from there, and I fell in love with that town the first time he took me up to his family lake. I loved the vibe of that small town, and the tight-knit community.
6) Brock Miller’s heritage property was inspired by my husband’s family’s heritage property, but that’s where the similarities end! Brock’s family dynamics are fictional, even if they may feel very real.
7) Brock worked with a certain somebody from another series I’ve written…and he was actually the one to kick some sense into this person.
8) Tessa’s truck is my secret dream truck. I have always loved the look of them!
9) Braden (Brock’s younger brother, who is dating Tessa’s best friend) is one of the most frustrating, self-destructive characters I have ever written. He could probably give Grayson from the Damaged Series a run for his money. He gets in own story in the Rebel Series, Rebel Heart. He’ll probably frustrate you in Rebel Soul though. #sorrynotsorry
10) Travis Channing is influenced by Thomas Rhett, because I have a massive crush on Thomas Rhett. Also because of the cover he did for When I Was Your Man. Travis Channing has his own story coming in The Rebel Series too!
11) I like to add little Easter eggs in my books for my husband to find, so Brock’s dog is named after and inspired by the dog Matt had growing up. Straight down to the wolf in him! Real-life Hunter showed up on Matt’s family’s doorstep with a head injury caused by someone beating him, and while he wasn’t the smartest dog because of it, it was loyal and very loving. I never got a chance to meet him, as he passed away a year before I met Matt.
12) I think that Brock might be one of my most favourite characters ever, mainly because of how selfless he is. He is truly unafraid to defend his family. He has sacrificed it all for them on more than one occasion; and he’s paid the ultimate price and yet he doesn’t resent his siblings in the slightest. He isn’t the kind of guy to throw it in their faces and make them feel bad for the choices he made. He always has their backs.
13) Tessa wants to become a vet so badly because I wanted to be a vet when I was a little girl. I was obsessed with reading James Herriot’s books. My granny bought me practically all of them!
14) My papa taught me how to gut a fish when I was six. I haven’t done it since I was a kid though, and I actually HATE the feeling of fish so I don’t like fishing. I find them slimy, and growing up I always wished that I didn’t mind the feeling of them so that I could fish with my papa.
15) In Rebel Soul, Tessa finds herself in a situation that all too many women have found themselves in. Tessa is a very different character than Jenna (from my Collide series), and she handled it very differently. This was intentional. Our experiences and our reactions differ so dramatically from one another, and I needed to showcase this.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
J.C. Hannigan lives in Ontario, Canada with her husband, their two sons and two dogs. She writes contemporary new adult romance and suspense. Her novels focus on relationships, mental health, social issues, and other life challenges.